Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

12 January 2007

The search for Danny & Sandy

I can't understand why Broadway shows have to resort to talent competitions in order to find their star. TV's a different medium, where class and crass merrily mix. Broadway is supposedly all class, the way I see it. Resorting to TV gimmicks make it crass. There isn't a line to differentiate it anymore.

Anyway, this new talent show doesn't have the same pull as American Idol, the world's most popular singing competition, where people from all sectors - both class and crass - follow. It also doesn't have the same excitement as those dancing competitions (something I have yet to see at least once, owing to the fact that I was once regarded as a "choreographer" in my high school yearbook, pffft! I supposedly loved to dance....before).

What Grease: You're The One That I Want holds is a sense of nostalgia and familiarity. For anyone who is a fan of the movie, you tend to overlook the fact that this talent contest on TV might just be a stupid idea. As long as they keep playing those Grease clips, you're fine. :)

But all in all, the show ain't that bad. The judges? They really mean business. The hosts? I don't know.

After choosing their Top 50, these contestants will enter Grease Academy. So, this is like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and Star/Dream/Fame Academy all rolled into one.

Some clips:




Grease - You're the One That I Want
Season 1
Original Airing: Jan 10th 2006
Network: NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment