12 January 2007

The search for Danny & Sandy

I can't understand why Broadway shows have to resort to talent competitions in order to find their star. TV's a different medium, where class and crass merrily mix. Broadway is supposedly all class, the way I see it. Resorting to TV gimmicks make it crass. There isn't a line to differentiate it anymore.

Anyway, this new talent show doesn't have the same pull as American Idol, the world's most popular singing competition, where people from all sectors - both class and crass - follow. It also doesn't have the same excitement as those dancing competitions (something I have yet to see at least once, owing to the fact that I was once regarded as a "choreographer" in my high school yearbook, pffft! I supposedly loved to dance....before).

What Grease: You're The One That I Want holds is a sense of nostalgia and familiarity. For anyone who is a fan of the movie, you tend to overlook the fact that this talent contest on TV might just be a stupid idea. As long as they keep playing those Grease clips, you're fine. :)

But all in all, the show ain't that bad. The judges? They really mean business. The hosts? I don't know.

After choosing their Top 50, these contestants will enter Grease Academy. So, this is like American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and Star/Dream/Fame Academy all rolled into one.

Some clips:




Grease - You're the One That I Want
Season 1
Original Airing: Jan 10th 2006
Network: NBC