Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

29 January 2007

Not As Preciouuussssss

It's probably bad that I have already formed a bias against Eragon before I even saw it. LOTR is without a doubt my favorite movie of all time and anything similar to it, is sure to get a thumbs down from me.

But I tried to appreciate this movie. I tried to watch it for what it's worth, owing to the fact that this type of genre is what I truly enjoy (I can't wait for Frank Miller's 300!!!).

And in my perception, the development of the story was rushed. Like: there was a total of 2 minutes in which Eragon learned to use the sword; less than a minute - and he learned to speak a foreign language (not master it but still); 5 minutes or so in which he learned to ride his Dragon; some 20-30 minutes later and Saphira became more powerful, ditto Eragon. One minute they're off riding their horses, the next minute there is a battle somewhere. Wha?!?

This clearly showed to me how inexperienced the director was (first time director, apparently) by not knowing how to translate a good narrative from book to film.

And in the end, I could not disregard the glaring rip-offs from LOTR and even a bit of Harry Potter. They said it's a Star Wars rip-off, too but I haven't noticed. Maybe in the succeeding movies, as this film is supposedly another Trilogy.(?)

I could not also help laughing at how bad the costume they made the Dragon wear (Pinag-costume ba naman ang dragon?! LOL!).

One part whookey. Three parts....pretty lame.

At least the boy is a cutie. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment