06 February 2007

New Mission: Watch one season of Dr. Who

Wikipedia Dr. Who facts:

* The character of the Doctor was initially shrouded in mystery. All that was known about him in the programme's early days was that he was an eccentric alien traveler of great intelligence who battled injustice while exploring time and space in an unreliable old time machine called the TARDIS.

* Like all Time Lords, the Doctor has the ability to "regenerate" his body when near death, allowing for the convenient recasting of the lead actor. A Time Lord can regenerate twelve times, with a total of thirteen Doctors.

There have been 10 Doctors and a total of 26 Seasons, so far.

But I'm getting just one season of this show, to focus on the Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, who will soon be more recognizable worldwide as Heroes' Invisible Man.

I'm getting into this show blindly. I've never seen any of the older episodes, the first episode started in 1963. I've also not seen the movie version. Nor any other spin-offs related to the show. So, I'm plunging into this one not knowing what to expect, except that there's seems to be a hype around Christopher Eccleston and I'm curious as to why.

Blow me away then.