11 June 2008

Movie: Kung Fu Panda

I'm gonna go and see this movie a second time! Originally written on my Multiply...which is turning out to be my movie blog.

-------------

How fun was this movie!? My 10 year old kept on laughing and laughing and I had a big grin on my face the whole time, my facial muscles are sore!

I love:
- that Jack Black dialed down the crazy. Hence he was effectively funnier as Po.
- the design, the animation: stunning! This rightfully falls on our BluRay wishlist, once it's released.
- the fighting sequence: awesome! I have been craving for a good action movie to watch. I did not expect this movie would be my answer. My son tells me, he read that this movie was inspired by Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and I definitely saw that.
- that there was hardly any pop-culture reference. Sometime those jokes don't work. This movie did not need any of those to make it relevant and funny.

Some Taoist (?) elements that went unnoticeable:
- The townsfolk? I think my son asked me this three times in the middle of the movie ---- why is everyone else characterized as pigs, ducks and bunnies? But the heroes of the movie are all fierce creatures? I don't know the exact answer to that, but maybe that's the reason why they are warriors? The meek domesticated animals, regular town people (represented by cute bunnies, clueless pigs and daffy looking fowls) rely on them for protection?
- Po is motivated by food and had to be trained to think about food, which sends the wrong message to those watching the film, if you look at it. And I did not know this too...but a few days back my son related to me --- pandas do nothing but eat most of the time. (See, I am so not smarter than a 6th grader!). It's like, that's their talent. Po's motivation makes sense...in a way. You think?

Master Oogway said --- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it". And that is why .... there are no accidents.

The final battle scene reminded me of Tekken: Panda vs. King.

If you didn't stay long to watch the credits, here's what you missed: