Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

25 June 2008

How do you say Colbert?

Note to Maxxx on Skycable --- It's pronounced Stephen "Colberrrrr" in "The Colberrrrr Reporrrr". No, seriously. That's how he calls his show and that's how his name is uttered. Your female voice-over, the one doing the promos? She says "Col-BERT".

It's not entirely her mistake though. The first time I heard of him, I instantly thought the same, too. Stephen Colbert. As in Cole-Bert, it's simple phoenetics. No one would think it should sound French. And technically it IS Cole-bert. But the man prefers to drop the T. So, he's Stephen Colberrr.

And well, it really shouldn't be big deal except --- it's being promoted on Skycable's Maxxx channel a lot. And the lady voice-over says it more than three times: Stephen Coal-bert in The Coal-bert Report. Stephen Coal-bert in The Coal-bert Report. Stephen Coal-bert in The Coal-bert Report.

It's Beverly Hills Ninety-Two-Ten all over again. Remember this? In the late 80's/early 90's ABS CBN was airing this show and the voice promo for 90210 pronounced it as "ninety-two-ten".

To this day, that's how I call it. I see the numbers and immediately my mind reads it: "ninety-two-ten"; when actually, as everyone knows by now --- it's Nine-Oh-Two-One-Oh.

Promos do a lot for recall. At least get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment