It has not been a banner year for TV this season and for me personally, as I've said this a couple of times before --- I have been hating 2007. It's been bad, yes. But there's also a tiny glimmer of hope and sunshine every now and then. It's the same for some of the shows I have watched this year....that tiny glimmer of hope and sunshine.
On hindsight, I think I would remember this year and this season best. Mostly because of the things I had to weather through (life-lessons learned) and the shows TV had to offer (short as the are, they were some of the best shows I've watched in a while).
On with the recognition...
Best Reality Series: The Amazing Race. The show is still doing it for me after a dozen installments. With some reality shows, I'd just as soon walk away from it because it has become predictable and, well, scripted in a way. Not so with TAR, which promises and consistently brings something different every time. This current season run has also been great for the show, as it earns one of its highest rated episodes ever (Season Premiere for TAR 12).
Guilty Pleasure: Big Brother And I'm not talking about the Pinoy Edition...because that, I had given up. I'm referring to the crazy edition that is Big Brother USA 8 last summer. Watching people connive against each other is a form of escapism, which is what the show promotes. I will and cannot ever do that in real life. But on TV, as bad as this may sound, I enjoy real people doing it...and for what? Money!! It's the lowest form of entertainment, but 7-8 Million people find something amusing in that. I'm glad I'm not inside the house but I'm equally thrilled people go crazy in there.
Best Comedy: It's a triple tie!
- The Office - this season wasn't there best but having to dissect through each episode for Watchingtheoffice makes me appreciate it more than usual.
- Samantha Who? - it's a surprise hit and surprisingly very funny
- Ugly Betty - its second season has edged over the first, and save for annoying Betty, I'm enjoying everyone else's part in this series.
A comedy I could not undertand: Flight of Conchords - I tried to get pass two episodes at least. I just don't get it. Is the singing supposed to be funny? It made me sleep, really.
Best Drama: Brothers and Sisters - hands-down. A sappy family drama that manages to produce some clever writing in there. Sure it borders on daytime soap almost (that's like telenovela for us here ---- incredible story lines and all that drama) but I need that kind of drama once in a while.
- Lost - the ending made me get up my seat and wail, "Noooooo!"
- I would've picked Friday Night Lights but I haven't been so invested in it like last season. It's still a good show, though and I remain a regular viewer. But there's just something missing. Maybe after the strike, I'll find what I'm looking for in it.
- Chuck - I'm glad I invested in it, because the show got better and better with each episode
- Dirty Sexy Money - here's another family story that is a cross between Brothers and Sisters/Arrested Development. What's not to love about that?
- Burn Notice - Like Samantha Who? I was mighty surprised at how entertaining this show was. I welcome it's return in mid-2008.
Worth Checking Out:
- Greek - an entertaining college comedy
- Damages - with Glenn Close. Glenn Close is enough reason to watch it.
- Mad Men - I think I stopped watching after episode four. I think I got insulted at how they treated women...can't remember exactly. But I'm convinced to give it another try after reading all those reviews and praises.
CANCELED/SHOW IS OVER:
Andy Barker, PI
Grease, You're the One I Want
In Case of Emergency
Knights of Prosperity
On The Lot
Pinoy Big Brother Season 2
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
The Black Donnelly's
The Kill Point
The Wedding Bells
America's Next Top Model
Late Night With Conan O' Brien
That 70's Show
The Late Show with David Letterman
Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Without A Trace
NOT FINISHED/DROPPED FROM LINE-UP:
Aliens in America
America's Most Smartest Model
Big Brother Aus
Big Brother UK
Flight of Conchords
Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition 2
WILL CONTINUE WATCHING:
Back To You
Big Brother US
Brothers & Sisters
Everybody Hates Chris
Friday Night Lights
How I Met Your Mother
Last Comic Standing
My Name Is Earl
The Amazing Race
The Big Bang Theory
So, how were the shows you've watched this year?