05 March 2007

My new favorite actress...

...would be Connie Britton.

I know this is a bit late, but I just saw one of Friday Night Light's recent episodes and was so impressed by the actors' calibre. Here's what I'm talking about:



As a mother, I would say this is exactly how I would react if I find out my child is thinking of having sex at 15.

My other favorite Connie Britton moment was in a scene with Tyra, her daughter's best friend:

Tyra: Thanks for helping me bring my mom home
Mrs. Taylor (Connie): You're welcome
Tyra: You can go home now, you don't have to have them cleaned
Mrs. Taylor: Well, I think someone's gonna have to help you here, honey
Tyra: Well, it's not gonna be you
Mrs. Taylor: Well, actually I think right now it's gonna be me
Tyra: You know, why don't you quit pretending that you actually give a damn about what happens to me and my family?
Mrs. Taylor: I do give a damn
Tyra: Oh please, you know I found out tonight you won't even let Julie hang-out with me, like I'm some kind of virus? So it's a little annoying when you come into my house and act superior, start cleaning up like you're some kind of friend of the family, coz you are not. So, you know what, you go take your precious little daughter and lock her away so bad people like me? We can't hurt her. Just go home!
Mrs. Taylor: Tyra...it's just that Julie's my girl. And she has never behaved like this before and I might have been blaming you for that, I mean you know, it could be that she's just growing up. And I thought that I would be prepared for all of that coz I'm her mother and I thought I could be prepared for whatever came down our way. Well, I tell you what, it feels like a big old freight train is heading right in my direction and I can't do a thing to stop it but I'm just trying. I'm just trying my hardest to stop it. So, I'm sorry Tyra.



Kudos too, to the writers of these episodes (Liz Heldens & Kerry Ehrin) for having materials that would bring out the best in these actors. Those lines and their stories realistically encapsulate what every parent feels about their growing kids.

FNL is, without question, one of the best new dramas of the season. ;)

Friday Night Ligths
Season 1 Episode 17 - I Think We Should Have Sex
Season 1 Episode 18 - Extended Families
Original Airing: February 21 & 28, 2007
Network: NBC