07 September 2011

First Thoughts: "NEW GIRL" - Fun But Could Get Old Quick

The pilot episode of New Girl is now free to download on iTunes.

The series isn't going to air until the 20th of September.  But since the network (Fox), doesn't always win with their live-action comedies and has a reputation for mishandling these (Arrested Development, Breaking In)  jumpstarting New Girl by releasing the first episode online, and a week earlier at that, is its way of compensating. The network is hoping that this will help improve its performance in this area.

Because this stars Zooey Deschanel, you'd expect nothing less but watch the "poster child for all things quirky" do her bit.

I did enjoy New Girl as a whole. It gave me tons of laugh-out-loud moments. I would let a friend watch it and promise her, she will find it fun.

The problem I see here, though, is that the main character's antics could get old pretty quickly for me.

Don't get me wrong --- because I love, love, love Zooey for the way she is.

But while I was watching, I mentally noted that if I have to watch her be zany and kooky every week, for 13 (or 24?) episodes, then it's possible she'd lose that charm a lot of us seem to love. You know what I mean?

Then again, as I've learned all these years watching too much TV ---- you don't judge the show by its pilot episode. Particularly one that has been filmed over a year ago and has been going through a lot of tweaking since.
  • Tweaking by way of recasting one of the roommates --- Damon Wayans, Jr. --- who picked to star in Happy Endings over this.
  • Tweaking by casting Justin Long as a potential boyfriend for Jess (Zooey's character) and who should even out Zooey's comical presence.
So, things could still improve and New Girl can still find its balance.

***** 


New Girl's official synopis:

JESS DAY (Zooey Deschanel, "(500) Days of Summer") is an offbeat and adorable girl in her late 20s who, after a bad breakup, moves in with three single guys. Goofy, positive, vulnerable and honest to a fault, Jess has faith in people, even when she shouldn't. Although she's dorky and awkward, she's comfortable in her own skin. More prone to friendships with women, she's not used to hanging with the boys - especially at home. More here.

This scene from the pilot, between Jess and Schmidt, was the best moment for me:


SCHMIDT: Listen, what if we take you out, right after work? You know we'll fix you up, we'll get you a rebound.
JESS: A rebound?…I dunno if I'm ready… 
SCHMIDT: You're totally ready for it. I'll take you to the whole thing. I'll be like…your guide. 
JESS: Like Gandalf, from Middle Earth? 
SCHMIDT: Probably not…uh, okay... first of all, let's take out the Lord of the Rings references. Let's put them in a deep dark cave, where no one's gonna find 'em. Ever. 
JESS: …Except Smeagol.