Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

06 January 2006

The One Where We Watched Friends

Friends - The One with All Ten Seasons (Limited Edition) Over the holidays my little boy and I spent Christmas vacation watching my Friends DVD. My boy had seen the TV show before, as a younger child, all of 4 years (he's now 8), which means he couldn't remember a lot of it back then, it is not exactly a show that would hold a 4-year old's interest. So, anyway...he wanted to start from the beginning. In the course of our viewing, my boy feeds me his observations. He notices how much a competitive person Monica is; or how very funny Chandler is ("He says the funniest things," my boy would tell me.); or how different Phoebe looked from the earlier years.

I could tell my boy was really into the show and was starting to think like me when on one episode, he clicked the remote to pause the DVD and said: Mommy, when you boss me around, you're just like Monica. Of course, that was something I've known all along, I am a lot like her, but I find it amusing that my son would think the same thing. He also told me I'm as crazy as Phoebe.

When I asked him if I was as pretty as Rachel, the brat didn't say anything.

And then we played Phoebe's game (in the episode The One In Vegas Part 1, where Phoebe asked a series of questions and Joey would say the first thing that comes to his mind). I started with the basic :


Me: What do you love most, ice cream or chocolate?
S: Ice cream
Me: Who do you love most, mommy or daddy?
S: Mommy

and moved to Friends-related:

Me: Who is funnier, Chandler of Phoebe?
S: Chandler
Me: Who would you kiss, Monica or Rachel?
S: Rachel

I asked him why Rachel.

"She'd make a good girlfriend,"
my boy says.

Of course, when I asked him what his favorite show is, that isn't a cartoon or something he'd watch on Disney channel, I already know the answer.

After viewing, he went online and googled anything Friends related, and now knows more than the average Friends fan. If I dare say, my son is a lot like Ross that way. He's a geek, he'd google anything if he wants to get information. He's the kind of boy who keeps a list of pasta dishes and scientific names of plants (among other lists), just for the heck of it.

The drawback to watching Friends with an 8 year old is, every now and then I get questions like, "Mommy, what's a condom?" ... but I don't really mind it. It is better he learn this from me rather than from someone else and make-up all sorts of answers about it, right? Phoebe for one, wouldn't like that.

Friends
1994-2004
Network: NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment