Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

07 April 2006

The "Unwatchables"

An old friend asked me once if there were TV shows I do not get to watch. She must've pictured me glued to the idiot box all day long because I have admittedly been babbling TV to her all the time, she must've gone deaf (sorry na nga! ) or she may have thought of me as an idiot detached from reality (I relate everything to TV, it's sickening once you get to know me better).

I do get to turn the tube off, at least four or five hours in a day (coz sometimes I just turn it on for the "ambience"). And I don't get to watch everything. I say this with deep regret because I want to be able to watch everything! Too much TV is not enough. If I a genie granted me three wishes I'd wish for a big TV, lots of time on my hands and all the shows I can watch! --- I envy a few people I've come across who can spend a lot on original TV-DVD boxsets, and still eat three times a day.

Anyway, going back ... to answer the question, "Is there anything I do not watch?"

I would have to say --- just about the same amount of those that I do watch and maybe even more...of course even more. (Ano ako robot, zombie? I need to sleep and eat and socialize too...although, okay, not when my favorite shows are on!)

And here are just some of those I do not/did not/never did/have stopped watch(ing):

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-7)Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Sarah Michelle Gellar) - I could never understand why there is a niche for this TV show. I tried watching once but I could not get pass the high school setting. People have been telling me the script and the dialogues are witty (an element I look for in a TV show) but I just couldn't finish the first season. So, while every cool person I know (cool, at least in my world, the TV geek's [kuno] world hehe) was into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I wasn't. And when they begin talking Buffy and I could not relate, at times I felt like the high school outcast no one wanted to be friends with. For the record: I did love Joss Whedon's (Buffy creator) Firefly (so very much!).

2. Smallville - The Complete First Four SeasonsSmallville (Tom Welling and that pretty girl that was once on everyone's avatar in some forum I often visited before)- Okay, once again the high school setting turned me off... Slthough I would have to say, I wasn't turned off by Veronica Mars' high school environment and yes, they tell me VM is like Buffy... in fact VM is the new Buffy (Why I can sit through VM and not BVS, I don't know... but they're supposedly a lot of similarities, as I'm told). Anyway, Smallville was a show my 37-40 year old friends loved to watch. They do tune to it like crazed teenagers. I once again got to watch the first few episodes at the time it premiered but it just didn't stick with me. So come four or five seasons (?) after, I still do not have any idea what the show is about, except I know that Tom Welling is Superman and that's just about it.

3. Survivor All-Stars - The Complete SeasonSurvivor (Jeff Probst) - I've religiously watched this one like it was my faith. No one could disturb me during live feeds and I would get all pissed when they do. It was the very first reality show I got myself addicted to. Survivor led me to discover a TV niche on the internet. There were all sorts of TV addicts out there and I was part of the Survivor group (that gradually grew to other groups). Until after the All Stars show (Season 8), and then I just got tired. Today, my TV group is still there, in fact, they've grown in number. And I, I just got tired.

4. Desperate Housewives - The Complete First SeasonDesperate Housewives - I just got tired of it, too. After one season. It just got..... tiring. It's even too tiring to write my reasons why. As much as I love Felicity Huffman, her presence is not enough to keep me interested with DH long enough to see how Season 2 ends. I quit midway.

5. One Tree Hill - The Complete Seasons 1 & 2The O.C. - The Complete First Two SeasonsThe OC and One Tree Hill - I've never gotten the chance to take so much as a 5 minute peek at these shows. Even as I'm told The OC's okay, as it is the 90210 of this decade (90210 --- I did watch a lot of back then). You can throw in Dawson's Creek here, too. These are the types of show I pass on.

So, there... just some of my unwatchables. Lovingly dedicated to you who asked if I put down my remote at all.

One of these days I'll come up with a list of TV shows in another category: Those that I would like to watch but never got around to doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment