14 February 2012

What is Love? - by Brick Heck

Here's the essay written by Brick Heck from the comedy series The Middle, describing what he thinks love is.

I have raved so much about Happy Endings' Valentine's Day episode on Twitter (viewed four times!) and it aired the same day as the one from The Middle. (viewed twice!)

And The Middle, in all seriousness, is what I can totally relate to.

I hope you are all going to have a nice Valentine's Day celebration, no matter how grand or simple!

What is love? Shakespeare tells us that love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.

I'm only 10 and have yet to experience great love; so I chose to write about the only love I'm familiar with - the love my parents share. It's not a new love filled with burning passion.

My sister says they don't even french kiss anymore. But it's the little things I see them do for each other that tells me what love is.

Like in the car, when my mom puts her hand on the back of my dad's neck and massages it. Or when my dad warms up my mom's car and scrapes the ice off her windshield on cold mornings.

And how they've learned to communicate with each other using their own special language.

It's true we don't have a lot of money, but I'd like to think even if we did, my parents would still be at home, hanging out together. Of course, in a much nicer house with a jacuzzi soaking tub.

If you ask people what they think are the greatest love stories, they'd say Romeo or Juliet or Hermione and Ron Weasley. And those are fine. But if you ask me, great love stories can be small - like my mom and dad's!