04 July 2012

(This) Girl on GIRLS

As a TV show, Girls is actually brilliant. It's well-written, the dialogues ring true, the scenes mirror real people as opposed to Hollywood commodities.  But it's the main characters who are quite the hard-sell.

When I say that, I mean I don't know how to convince people to, "give watching Girls a try because this certain character is awesome!"  None of the girls on Girls are (awesome, that is). And yes, there's Shoshanna. But she's lives in a different world and that's hard to sell, too!  The boys aren't exceptional either.

It was hard to convince people to watch the show because I didn't even find the characters likeable in the beginning.

It took me three episodes to uncover the potential of the show. Or that something about the writing of the story is engaging. (Episode 3 is my favorite!)

And then it took me five or six more episodes to acknowledge that, despite Hannah's breast exposures and sexual positions (awkwaaaaaaaaard, but so authentic!), Lena Dunham (Hannah), the show's writer, director and lead star is definitely one talented 26-year old.

Yet, I still have a problem. I still didn't warm up to her character even after realizing all that.

Until...

It took me till the 9th episode of the first season (where there are 10 episodes total, btw) to finally appreciate Hannah....and maybe even like her. Juuuust a little bit. 

It happened in one scene, where she was seen wearing this pair of shoes:


They were the exact shoes I've been lemming for months and I didn't have the will to get it coz...where am I gonna wear them?



I know! Shoes! It's completely superficial. Nadala sa sapatos! But I know girls can relate.

It was this exact moment that defined the moment I thought this spoiled little loser Hannah is actually pretty cool. We like the same shoes!!! *cheers*  So, if she ends up wearing more of the stuff I'd really like to see next season, then I might just really, really love Hannah already!

With season one done, I started reading up on Girls to get to know the cast and their characters better. Okay, it was more like to get to know Lena better. (I was just really starting to see why other brilliant comedians have been raving about this girl!)  And after watching and reading interviews of her, it's gotten me pretty much convinced that...

This girl ----


is really just a character ----

Hannah | GIRLS
this woman plays.

Lena | GIRLS' Star, Writer & Director

The latter, I'm already convinced, is great. The former, I'm holding off till the second season to see what's up her butt some more. (Wait. I don't mean that to be literal. Please don't show your butt, Hannah!!!)

Have you seen Girls? You got squeamish with some scenes didn't you? Hated Hannah for it? Haha. Well, get over it coz you will love what happens if you just let the story move along.

Girls is brilliant. (I said that already!) And the characters are so insane (two of them clinically insane, I think!) that by the end of the Season 1, you may even recognize yourself in some of them and love the show for "getting" you, girl.

Now, go. Watch.