Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

26 July 2011

Dodged A Bullet: Wonder Woman 2011 Pilot That Never Was

While a few people were able to watch the David E. Kelley Wonder Woman pilot last May, I --- along with the rest of the common people --- had to wait for someone to leak this online so I can take a peek at it.

Everyone's been saying it's THAT bad. I like Adrianne Palicki and would love to see more of her on television. And I thought my fondness for her would suffice trying to digest the pilot episode.

Sadly, by the 20-minute mark, I was ready to give up on it.

They made her character --- Diana Prince/ Wonder Woman/Diana Therma-whatever --- so unlikeable.

I have little recollection of Diana Prince back in the 80's. I was between 6-8 when Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was on television. I think the only reason why I watched the show then was to see her do that turn, as she changed into her costume. That's my most vivid memory of the 80's series.

I faintly remember, however, that Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was classy and elegant. She was nice, she was pleasant and she had no hang-ups.

This Wonder Woman?

She had issues thicker than the September issue of Vogue.

She was tough. She was edgy. She behaved like a brute. She had angst. She was vindictive.  If she grunted and if she wasn't wearing a costume that emphasized her "tits" (and yes, this Wonder Woman says words like "tits"), she might as well be I-Wonder- If- You're-A-Man.

Seriously.

Adrianne is a lovely woman.  But this show had a way of making her look less pretty, like a drag queen chasing after that bad guy running on the street.

Her boots had powers as well. One second it had 2-inch heels, the next second, it was flat like rainboots. Her boobs were distracting.

The opening scene felt like I was watching House. And one of the characters, played by Cary Elwes, was so familiar, like he's Wilson.

Her third identity watches The Notebook. And is a lonely, single woman without any friends. Perhaps it was a way to humanize her, but the angsty Wonder Woman is enough to fill up a therapist's schedule, that I can tell.

I did not enjoy the fighting scenes. The truth was, it was more empowering to watch Lynda Carter twirl than to see this chick kick butt.

A great storyline would've been a saving grace, but somewhere between the cheesy dialogues and the whole production, the show lost me.

Obviously, I have so many issues with this pilot, too.  Passing up on this was a good call for it really would be slaughtered by viewers.

Have you taken a peek at the Wonder Woman pilot? Your verdict?


No comments:

Post a Comment