Hey, TV viewer! When I'm not discussing TV on this site, you can find me doing daily TV updates on Facebook and Tumblr. You can also follow me on Twitter. I'm on these social sites talking TV all day, all the time!

17 December 2010

Attempting To Finish THE WIRE, Good Luck To Me!

At the beginning of the year (2010) I promised myself I would watch all five seasons of The Wire. Guess how many episodes I've actually watched? Of the 60, I finished with 4, maybe 5. And I have what? Two and a half weeks to go before the New Year.

Darn.

I know it's going to be impossible to finish all sixty in 2 weeks, when I have late Christmas shopping, housework, and actual work to do.

And I couldn't finish watching, not because the series isn't engaging. Far from it.

This is actually hailed as one of the best shows of the decade (which is why I wanted to watch it in the first place). Also, it's all headlined by character actors.  There are no celebrities with star power here but seasoned, convincing actors.

I couldn't finish because watching this show meant I needed to have full concentration, with my mind free of distractions. I need to process this well to enjoy it. It's not something one would watch mindlessly.

And if you've been following this blog (or my Facebook), then you must be aware, a clear mind isn't what I have all of this year, what with so many changes happening in our household and I'm kept constantly occupied.

Anyway, I'm going to finish what I can this Christmas break, seeing that most shows I follow are on hiatus and the mid-season premieres aren't happening till the second week of January.

If I begin to sound  serious and intense in the next few days/weeks, then you'll know it's probably because I've been internalizing the characters of The Wire and have stepped into their world.

What about you? What's on your watchlist this coming holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment