17 December 2010

Attempting To Finish THE WIRE, Good Luck To Me!

At the beginning of the year (2010) I promised myself I would watch all five seasons of The Wire. Guess how many episodes I've actually watched? Of the 60, I finished with 4, maybe 5. And I have what? Two and a half weeks to go before the New Year.

Darn.

I know it's going to be impossible to finish all sixty in 2 weeks, when I have late Christmas shopping, housework, and actual work to do.

And I couldn't finish watching, not because the series isn't engaging. Far from it.

This is actually hailed as one of the best shows of the decade (which is why I wanted to watch it in the first place). Also, it's all headlined by character actors.  There are no celebrities with star power here but seasoned, convincing actors.

I couldn't finish because watching this show meant I needed to have full concentration, with my mind free of distractions. I need to process this well to enjoy it. It's not something one would watch mindlessly.

And if you've been following this blog (or my Facebook), then you must be aware, a clear mind isn't what I have all of this year, what with so many changes happening in our household and I'm kept constantly occupied.

Anyway, I'm going to finish what I can this Christmas break, seeing that most shows I follow are on hiatus and the mid-season premieres aren't happening till the second week of January.

If I begin to sound  serious and intense in the next few days/weeks, then you'll know it's probably because I've been internalizing the characters of The Wire and have stepped into their world.

What about you? What's on your watchlist this coming holiday?