12 December 2006

2006's Best Part 2 - TV Gal's List

TV Gal's blog is one of those I regularly read. Here's her list of Best TV Shows for 2006. I agree with her choices at least 7 to 10:

1. "24": Remember when "24" premiered and everyone was in a tizzy? How will the show continue? Does it have more than one season in it? Not only does the series have a lot of life in it, it made its fifth season arguably its best (no easy feat, just ask "Prison Break.") What else is there to say about a season that introduced President Logan and the First Lady (I can't imagine the show without them)? That continued to prove that no one is safe (RIP Edgar). That even rehabilitated Audrey and keeps on developing some of TV's most interesting and quirky characters (yay Chloe). Best. Season. Ever.

2. "The Office": First of all, let me tell you, you are going to love this week's episode of "The Office." I'm kind of in awe of what the show has done this season. Bringing the background characters into the forefront (raise your hand if you love Kelly) and taking the Jim/Pam romance in new and believable directions. TV love triangles (or quadrangles as the case may be) are more interesting when we actually care about all the parties involved. And I really care. Sometimes I may be uncomfortable (two words: Prison Mike) but I always, always laugh out loud.

3. "Lost": At the heart of it, the genius of this show remains that it plays to multiple types of viewers. The viewer like my dad who enjoys each hour for what it is -– a compelling drama (even if he can't remember the characters names. A typical conversation between the two of us goes something like this: Me: "Do you think Jin killed that man?" Dad: "Jim whose Jim? Which one is he?"). It plays to viewers like myself who get perhaps far too invested in who Kate really loves, delight in the Sun/Jim back story, is dying to know how Locke ended up in that wheelchair, is annoyed by the new characters (there's no way they've been on the island all along) and keep wondering when will see Rose and Bernard again. And finally it appeals to the viewer who savors dissecting every clue and hint the show gives us about what the heck is going on. Name me a show that does all that.

4. "Veronica Mars": I'll stipulate to the fact that the show has lost some of its bite this season, but I feel about "Veronica Mars" the way I used to feel about "Buffy." Even a mediocre episode of "Veronica Mars" is better than most things on television. I'd name it one of the best shows on television based on last May's finale alone.

5. "Everybody Hates Chris": I'll spend at least 11 dollars and sixty-seven cents to tell you how much I enjoy this show. Remember how I agonized about my Top 10 character list last week, well I can't believe I didn't put Tichina Arnold on this list. She's the best (and sassiest) mom on TV. Any show based around a child is tricky business. Not many child actors can pull of being funny without being smug. But Tyler James Williams may be the best child actor since we met Fred Savage all those years ago. Sing it with me, "Everybody Loves Chris."

6. "The New Adventures of Old Christine": The best traditional four camera sitcom currently on network television. Julia Louis-Dreyfus thrives as the woman who doesn't quite have her life together. But we always knew she was funny. The show's real gift is in its supporting cast. Trevor Gagnon -- another great child actor -- as her son. Hamish Linklater as her deadpan hilarious brother and Tricia O'Kelley and Alex Kapp Horner as the positively fabulous soccer moms from hell.

7. "Scrubs": There's no annoying laugh track, no live studio audience, and no mugging for the camera after a particularly witty line. In fact, it's only because I'm always laughing so hard that I know this is a comedy. But what makes "Scrubs" truly unique is that it is often so poignant and moving (witness the birth of Carla and Turk's baby). I can't wait for the musical episode.

8. "Brothers & Sisters": If there was ever an example of mom knows best, this is it. From the very first episode, my mom declared that this was going to be an excellent show and that I should give the drama another chance. And, once again, my mom was right (it's kind of like the time she told me not to cut my own bangs and I did anyway). I love a show that gets better with each episode and relishes in fabulous performances. Even though the sisters sometimes bug me, this is quickly becoming my can't miss show. And a special shout of for creating Kevin, a television character who has as interesting and complicated love life as his straight siblings. Thanks Mom for making me watch.

9. "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip": I loved this show before I even met it and it has lived up to my expectations.

10. "Without a Trace": The best procedural drama in prime time continues to reinvent its own format. And it remains the only procedural crime drama that can seamlessly integrate the character's personal lives without making it seem like a clunky afterthought.


Full entry here.